Tweet to #OurDearborn on Twitter & have a say on the kind of education you want in your community.
FINAL POTENTIAL OPERATORS
Boston Plan for Excellence and Massachusetts Preparatory Network are the TWO FINALISTS in the running for management of the Dearborn School in 2015-2016. Only ONE of these organizations will be chosen by the Superintendent. Read below to learn about the outcomes during the final Dearborn Stakeholder Meeting and what is happening next:
RESULTS FROM THE
Dearborn Stakeholder Meeting (Open to Public)
Tuesday, December 2nd 4-6pm @ the Burke High School
- Both BPE and Mass Prep Network presented information about their vision for the school, their organizational culture, plans for curriculum, and educational philosophy for 15 minutes.
- There were many questions related to school discipline, working with BPS, and working with existing staff.
- One parent spoke about his enjoyment working with current Dearborn staff.
- Some audience members were still unsure about the steps Boston Public Schools' had taken to engage the local community in the decision-making process between a previous community meeting at Boston Day and Evening Academy until Tuesday.
- A member of the Stakeholder Group raised doubts about whether the community engagement model for informing the Office of the Superintendent's operator recommendations was "a real process." Stakeholder Group members were reportedly only given 10 minutes to read each proposal in their first two meetings and their was no real explanation given as to why two of the Superintendent's top original four recommendations did not move forward from that point. Whether Superintendent McDonough or the representative from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) was able to answer these questions is unclear.
- Some Dearborn Stakeholder Group members expressed that neither presentation was satisfactory and requested an extension from the City and Commonwealth so that they could see presentations from the other four original applicants, which was denied. The Dearborn Stakeholder Group was asked to submit their recommendation by noon on the following day (Wednesday).
Dearborn staff commented that BPE and Mass Prep Network were not asked the same questions so it was hard to compare them.
- A local BPS parent and education organizer asked how Dearborn and BPS parents were being informed about this whole process. A representative from BPS' Office of Community Engagement referenced meetings during the summer and the Boston Public School website as opportunities for parent input and information. The BPS parent responded by explaining that much had happened since the first community meetings and the BPS website is hard to navigate. The BPS Office of Community Engagement representative responded that it was "all they have" and that they "would make an effort to reach out to Dearborn parents."
- The Superintendent is scheduled to make his recommendation to DESE for a preferred external operator this Friday, December 5th or early next week.
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT FROM BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Regarding the Dearborn Stakeholder Group Meeting - Open to Public
The Dearborn STEM 6-12 Academy Stakeholder Group will convene to hear and discuss brief presentations by BPE and Mass Prep Network, the two finalists for a recommendation to DESE regarding a receiver/operator to move the school forward. The Superintendent will make his recommendation later this week. The Superintendent believes that we have two very strong proposals by both finalists; and he has confidence that each organization would succeed in working with the district and the community to ensure strong outcomes for students.
Given the importance of this decision, the Superintendent would like the stakeholder group to inform his thinking and final decision. BPE and Mass Prep Network will present to the stakeholder group in an open meeting on Tuesday, December 2nd from 4 to 6pm. Each finalist will present for up to 30 minutes, with 15 minutes for Q&A. The public is welcome.
Who will manage the Dearborn school starting in 2015-2016?
See who wants to manage the Dearborn
Learn who is making the decisions
Let your voice be heard
Members of the Dearborn Stakeholder Group
- Lora Triplett, Parent, Dearborn - Ms. Triplett is happy to have families contact her with questions/comments
- Chris Ckoech, Teacher, Dearborn 6-12 STEM Academy
- Elaine Ng, Boston Public Schools, Office of Individualized Learning
- Lamont Jones, Student Council President, Dearborn, Dearborn 6-12 STEM Academy
- Mweusi Willingham, Interim Headmaster, Dearborn, Dearborn 6-12 STEM Academy
- Nadeen Correia Gomes, Dearborn Staff and Boston Teachers Union Representative
- Paulo DeBarros, Chair, Education Committee Cape Verde UNIDOS
- Rev. Jason Sutton, Pastor, Southern Baptist Church, Faith/Community Leader
- Yvonne Powell, Resident, Community Leader (RPC and GBIO)
- Sam Acevedo, Associate Pastor at Congregación León de Judá
- Nicole Bahnam, Headmaster, Boston International